Refund Policy

We provide 7 days money back guarantee.

Read Our Refund Policy

At Hostgenics, we are committed to providing you with top-notch hosting services and ensuring your satisfaction. Our refund policy outlines the terms and conditions for requesting a refund for our hosting services. We proudly offer a 7-day money-back guarantee for our web hosting plans. If, for any reason, you are not satisfied with our hosting services within the first 7 days of your initial purchase, you may request a refund. For eligible refund requests within the 7-day period, a refund equivalent to 90% of the total hosting plan cost will be processed. The remaining 10% will be retained to cover gateway and transaction fees incurred during the refund process.We want to inform you that domain registration fees are non-refundable. Once a domain is registered or renewed, we are unable to process refunds for domain-related charges. To initiate a refund request for hosting services, please reach out to our customer support team through our designated support channels. We will assist you in processing your hosting service refund efficiently. Hosting service refunds will be processed promptly. However, please be aware that the time it takes for the refunded amount to reflect in your account may vary depending on your payment method and financial institution.

*Once A Domain Is Purchased It Cannot Be Cancelled Or Refund.

*7 Days Money Back Guarantee Only On Web Hosting Plans.